There is nothing like the look of tile or slate on that outdoor deck. But the beauty is soon forgotten when water pours into your home, seemingly through the tile. And then you discover that all the attention on the job was towards the tile with little thought given to proper waterproofing. Rot repair is intrusive and expensive, not to mention the cost of replacing the tile.
This is a common story. There seems to be a lack of understanding within the building community about the proper waterproofing of decks, balconies and roofdecks that are overlaid with porcelain tile, slate or some of the other natural stone finishes. That’s where Duradek fits into the picture.
See how Tiledek remedies this common scenario: check out this article featured in
TileLetter Magazine May 2013 – Waterproofing Makes All The Difference In Dual Level Deck
Remember, Not all Products are created Equal!
To help make your purchasing decision clearer, please refer to these helpful resources:
Why Use Tiledek?
Duradek has been waterproofing roofdecks since 1974 with PVC sheet membranes that are meant to be walked on. We sell our product only one way – professionally installed by contractors who have completed a training course and who specialize in flat surface waterproofing. Many of those decks have been covered with tile over the years. So it is not much of a stretch for us to redesign our regular Duradek Ultra membrane to come up with an anti-fracture, roofing membrane capable of having tile applied over top – Duradek Ultra Tiledek!
- 60 mil membrane (compared to others at 40 mils)
- Installed only by trained contractors who specialize in roofdeck and balcony waterproofing.
- Duradek has 35 years of roofing/waterproofing experience to draw upon.
- Why to use Tiledek instead of a Modified Bitumen as a waterproof membrane under exterior tile.
Industry Experts Discuss Exterior Tile Projects:
- Interview With Shell Busey– By John Ogilvie, President of Duradek Ltd. (7.1 Mb MP3 File)
- Ceramic Tile Consultant, David Gobis is a 3rd generation tile setter with 35 years experience in the trade. He offers his valuable insights and words of wisdom in the NTCA’s Tile Letter Magazine article: Tile Decks, Patios and Balconies; by David M. Gobis, CTC CSI,
- Avoiding Leaky Exterior Tile Decks – by John Ogilvie, President of Duradek Ltd. (2 Mb PDF File)
- Featured in Construction Specifier Magazine, February 2013 – John Ogilvie discusses the waterproofing details that make the difference between a successful and a failed exterior tile deck project.
Duradek Ultra Tiledek is Manufactured in North America